Pages

Haute-umn Leaves

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The One with the New Calling

I know you're all dying for a London post (It was amazing, simply amazing!) but that's probably going to be really long so this is all I have time for today.  Not to mention that Mom is in town and we are heading over to Grandma's house for dinner shortly :)
Remember just a few months ago (5 to be exact!) when I said I had finally gotten my favorite calling as primary pianist?  Well that's already over.  Sigh.  That is seriously the best calling in the church.  Period.  Love the kids.  I'm so going to miss them.  It's even easier in our ward because we're so small the kids don't separate into junior and senior primary so I have a huge break where I just got to talk to the ladies in the primary presidency.  It was awesome.
A few weeks ago on the way back home from Moab Justin got a text from the ward executive secretary asking if/when we could meet with the bishop that week.  Sure, no prob.  I didn't really speculate about it until the day of.  Then I remembered that the couple who were previously the YM and YW presidents (yep, simultaneously, the poor things!) had been looking for a house.  I did a quick facebook search and sure enough, they were closing on one.  I called Justin and said "I figured it out.  You've been ward mission leader for so long, they're going to release you and call you as YM president!"  There was no doubt in my mind I would be keeping my own calling.  There are only about 3 of us in the ward who can even play the piano, I had nothing to worry about.
I had everything to worry about!  I texted Melissa (the former YW pres) before our appointment to let her know I may or may not be slightly upset with her and I would decide in about half an hour.  She accidentally spilled the beans in her response thinking we had just gotten out of meeting with the bishop and I realized it was me!  I was the one getting a new calling!  Unfortunately this was right before my trip to the UK and I had to warn the bishop that I would be out of town for the remaining Sundays of the month.  I've always thought that the one calling I never wanted was in the YW.  I should have known better than to think that, it's like asking to shoot yourself in the foot.  Never a good idea.  So I won't technically be sustained and set apart for 2 more weeks but I've already been helping out with the girls and it's actually been pretty fun.  We only have 4 girls which makes it easier in some ways and harder in others.  I know some of my readers have had callings in YW before so feel free to tell me about your favorite activities and lessons and any other advice you're willing to share.  Heaven knows these girls are going to need all the help they can get with me as a leader!

1 comment:

Jared and Andrea said...

The best thing you can do is love those girls. You will have a huge impact in their lives and they are blessed to have you. More importantly, they will have a huge impact on your life. Oh, and pray. A LOT. Love and miss you!