Pages

Haute-umn Leaves

Friday, March 11, 2011

The One with all the Basketball

March Madness is almost here!!  Well it is already March and Steve's birthday is today!!  (See I do remember other people's b-days)  And that is really the beginning of this crazy month.  Not to mention baby Anistyn could make her grand debut any day now...  Who doesn't love March?!

I know it's not official but a huge Congratulations goes out to this year's Arizona Wildcats for making it back to the tournament!!  Woo hoo!!  Couldn't be prouder if I was the team's mother :)   And another Congrats to Justin and the Park First Ward B team for making it to the regional tournament here in SLC.  Go team!!  If you all didn't notice at Christmas Justin is a huge football fan when it comes to watching sports and an even bigger basketball fan when it comes to playing.  He plays anywhere between 1 and 5 times a week depending on how many pickup games he gets into at the rec center.  Our ward has so many "young" men that they actually had two teams.  And Justin got on the good team.  At least for me- it was the team that most of my friends' husbands also played on.  So we got to sit in the stands together once a week and cheer on our men.  I would say a surprising number of guys that came out to play had little knowledge of the actual rules and skills needed to play basketball (surprising to me because as a UA alum I can't understand not knowing how to play) but they all had a lot of fun.  Those who knew were always willing to teach and it was funny to see everyone fight to stay on the bench rather than stay in the game to ballhog. Although that could have been a result of previous lack of cardiovascular exercise :)

These are pictures from their last regular season game.

Pre-game huddle.

 Tip-off- unfortunately Justin was behind the ref in this shot :(

One of Justin's 3-pointers.  Again, he was jumping backward- out of the shot.  Grrrr.

Finally, he was in my view!  I thought this was a great action shot :)

Just to prove he's not the only one busting 3's.

 They were so close!  But you can see how much fun they all had playing together anyway.

 And this was one of the higher scoring games!

Sadly, their regular season record was 1-5 but they won the important game, the one that got them to the tournament.  So last Saturday evening Justin and I drove to the first round of Regional Playoffs.  (Did they actually have those in the Gila Valley?  I really don't remember any tournaments other than softball)  We had a surprise walking in when we saw Justin's old roommate suited up for the other team.  He got married a year before us and luckily (for him) lives in the ward that has won the past 4 years in a row.  (Not that this was unexpected, tournaments are usually set up best record vs. not-the-best record.  That's the whole point of being a 1 seed right!)  Justin's team didn't win :( but I think that was one of their best games.  Justin is a pretty good 3-point shooter so it was really fun for me to watch all the guys try to feed him on the perimeter.  And be proud of their assists.  And now he has more friends in the ward than just my friends' husbands.

No comments: