Happy Pi Day everyone!! No, I did not misspell anything- that is pi as in 3.14, as in March 14th. I almost forgot and it's almost over! To be honest I'm glad it's almost over because that means Justin is coming home, yay!! Everyone cheer with me!! It's been a lonely 5 days (although probably more productive than usual :).
Going back to the topic of pi and science though, I've noticed recently a new public aversion to "chemicals." It's like the new global warming train/bandwagon to hop on. As a chemist, I find this odd. I think it stems from people not really understanding what "chemicals" are and then hearing something on the news and placing all their faith in that one story by the good looking anchor. Ummm, sometimes they're wrong. Or just over-exaggerating and under-informed. Ever heard about the elementary student's science project who went around asking people to sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide because it was known to cause deaths? And erosion and property damage and blah blah blah. And very few people even realized this kid was talking about water. Water!! Yeah, water is a "chemical." We should make it illegal. So, just as an FYI, not all "chemicals" are bad. Yes, there are definitely some that need to be controlled/monitored because they are harmful but we really need to come up with a new term to use. Because people are going to start being scared of chemists next and we have few enough friends as it is!!
No comments:
Post a Comment