*I was going to add pictures to this post but since my computer monitor is still AWOL I'll just have to do without.
List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
1. My
parents. How could anybody write a list
of people who influenced them and not start it off with their parents? Mom and Dad’s examples are huge reasons why I
am the person I am today. Or at least
the person I’m trying to be.
2. My
brothers (I feel like it’s cheating to just list all my siblings, I’d get to
ten way too fast). One has taught me
what to do and what to look for in a husband and the other has set a better
example of what not to do. Still,
they’ve both had influences on my views and opinions.
3. My
sisters. They’ve taught me patience,
kindness, French braiding, perseverance, Gibberish and optimism. I think I’m really lucky to be the youngest
and learn from my older siblings.
4. Justin,
obviously. He’s not first simply because
I’ve known him much shorter than my family.
Justin is one of the most patient, calm people I’ve ever known. He is so extremely loyal and kind. I consider myself a pretty practical person
but there are times when he points out how absolutely ridiculous and emotional my reaction to something is and puts life back in perspective. This is usually accomplished by him reminding
me that I’m on birth control. He’s
taught me how to mountain bike and ski and how absolutely amazing it is to go
through life with a true partner by my side.
I chose wisely.
5. My
former teachers/professors. This is
another big group that I could easily list individually. Senora Jurado was my favorite teacher in high
school (she obviously taught Spanish).
She really pushed me to do my very best and believed that I could do
things I didn’t have the faith in myself to even try. In college, Dr. Armstrong took notice of me
in an analytical course and helped me get involved in undergrad research and go
to grad school. It’s really encouraging
when someone at his level takes you under their wing. Dr. Aspinwall and Dr. Pollard were also very
encouraging and helped me realize that I was capable of more than I originally
thought.
6. Kara
McEuen & Misha Greer. Kara is my
oldest friend. I think we met when we
were 3 years old. I honestly don’t
remember ever fighting with her, at least nothing that lasted more than 5
minutes. Misha was my first roommate in
college and later we lived together in SLC.
She’s the only friend I’ve ever been roommates with and not had it damage our friendship. These girls have shown
me what a true friend is. Literally
through thick and thin, good times and bad, they have been there for me. And even though we now live in different
states and even opposite sides of the country I know that the next time we get
together it’s going to be like no time has passed at all.
7. Ok,
I cheated again. I only got to number 6
but that is already more than 10 people!
The hard thing is there isn’t just one person that I think “I want to be
like blank.” I wish I had certain
aspects of a lot of people’s personalities and that’s why I keep them
around. A few more people on that list: my Utah girls- Jane, Bailey, Meg, Camille, Lindsay and Lacey, and Andrea Krause (I'm so lucky that my husband's best friend's wife (did you follow that?) is one of my friends too!). Hopefully some day you all rub off on me.
1 comment:
I love reading these and getting to know you. Maybe one day we'll live closer and you can rub off on me too.
Post a Comment