The Wasatch Crest trail is a must do for bikers in SLC. It's pretty technical so it's definitely not a beginner trail. We backpacked this trail once our first summer here and there were sections I thought "People bike this!!" Yes they do, including my husband. The crazy few do an in-and-out, biking up the trail and returning the same way. Most people do it as a "shuttle." When Justin does this trail we drive partway up Big Cottonwood Canyon where he drops off his car at the bottom of the trail and then I drive him the rest of the way up the canyon to the trailhead. I always tell him to be careful and I do get a little nervous when I know he's on this trail until he gets in his car and calls to tell me he's safe. We've done this for a couple summers now and this year Justin decided I am good enough to join him on the trail :)
I was a little nervous starting out but Justin always warns me when tricky sections are coming up and if there's one biking skill I've perfected, it's bailing out of my clipless pedals. The beginning of the Crest trail is a grueling uphill with a specific section at the top affectionately known as "Puke Hill." With a name like that who doesn't want to go on this ride! I surprised Justin (and myself) by actually making it all the way up the hill! I was fully planning on stopping at some point and just pushing my bike the rest of the way up but I didn't need to! I must be getting in some good biking shape. I will admit I hit some gravel and had to get off and push my bike ~50 feet before the ground was flat enough to get back on. But we did this trail again later and I did the whole thing with no pushing!! I had so much fun on this trail it may be my new favorite. If you thought the views from Dog Lake were gorgeous, check these out.
Justin is finally wearing the biking jersey I got him 2 Christmases ago!! He is so funny when it comes to keeping things "nice." As in, he doesn't like when things are no longer nice so he uses whatever he has until it is beyond recognition and then finally pulls out the replacement he's been keeping safe for years.
This is Desolation Lake where we backpacked to our first summer here.
And this is "The Spine." This section is a little scary even just walking. I definitely did not even attempt this but Justin rolls right on down like it ain't no big deal!! Crazy!! But impressive.
I think it's even scarier looking back up!!
Hey look! I have a tan! No wait, that's just dirt :)
The sign of a good ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment