Pages

Haute-umn Leaves

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The One on the Pfeifferhorn

The biggest backpacking trip we've done recently is up the Pfeifferhorn.  We have now officially "bagged a peak" here in UT.  Technically, I think Justin has a couple under his belt already, but they don't count unless I'm there!  We were trying to decide what to do one weekend (again) when Justin's friend Cory called and said he wanted to go on one last backpacking trip before he got married.  So we (meaning they) chose the Pfeifferhorn.  I'm not gonna lie, this was a pretty tough peak.  And part of the trail got a little sketchy.  These are the moments I tell Justin "We better not blog this or my mom will kill you."  The pictures are so cool though I decided to blog them anyway :)

We stayed overnight at Red Pine Lake which is at the bottom of the Horn and hiked the rest of the way up the next morning.  It was still covered in snow!  In August!  Like I said, tough but gorgeous.  I also tried out a new pack that Justin got for $40 online (originally ~$200: Amy, I think Justin could give you a run for your money on some couponing!).  Loved it!  Having the right gear definitely makes the trip more enjoyable.
 
Heading up the trail.  I feel like I type that a lot!
There's still so much snowmelt all the mountain streams are rushing.
Our campsite.  It felt like noone else was there at all.
The one time we don't bring the fly it gets windy!!
This is our white trash-duct tapeless fix :)
 
Justin is such a helper when it comes to doing dishes :)
"Hmmm, is that the summit?"
Unfortunately no.
How cute is this?!

I hear Brownies arguing over which way to go when I see this picture.
Everyone was so impressed Cory
hiked this in Chacos.

I was making fun of Justin's thumbs up pose and
it turned out even funnier than I'd planned!!
Another loooong trek.  I love my husband!!

I knew I shouldn't have given them pistachios.  They followed us!
  

This spine was the scariest stretch of the whole
hike!!  And this is where Justin asked if it was
OK with Mom to keep going :)

"Ummm, I say don't look down."
The final stretch!!
"We made it!  We're alive!!"
  
 
A-maz-ing!!
  
And they're off!  Cindy's got a commanding lead...
But wait, what's this?!  Cheaters!!
At least they had fun.

Thanks Cory, for letting me crash your "bachelor party." :)

No comments: