Pages

Haute-umn Leaves

Monday, February 6, 2012

The One with the Craft (my first How-To)

I've mentioned multiple times now that Justin thinks I've been crocheting up a storm.  Well it's not just crochet- I've been crafting up a storm.  Mostly because I made most of the Christmas presents I gave last year and also thanks to the always inspiring Pinterest (if you haven't heard of it/aren't a member let me know and I'll send you an invite. It's awesome!!).

This is my latest project inspired by Pinterest:


I usually put my makeup on in the morning while sitting on the couch and watching the news.  Sound familiar?  This is what Mom does every morning!  Never really thought about it but maybe that's why I do it.  I will admit that I have dropped containers of powder, eyeshadow, my mascara brush, what have you on the couch.  Please don't look closely, then people will start noticing the pretty shimmery spots on our couch!  This is definitely a problem; not to mention that I really don't like makeup bags.  They get dirty so quickly and unless you only have 5 things in it to begin with you basically have to empty them completely to find your tweezers.  So when I saw the makeup magnet board online I thought "I can totally do that."  Like all projects it took a lot longer than expected but I like the end results.  And the best part is I already had most of the supplies or was able to find them at DI.  Woo hoo- I love saving money!!

First I covered 2 (clean) Campbell's soup cans with pretty paper using Mod Podge (love that stuff!) and then hot-glued ribbon around the top to finish it off and protect my fingers.


I know, we need a can opener that cuts smooth like Pampered Chef.  Guess what- my birthday is coming up :)  Oh, you hear crickets chirping.  Ok, moving on.  I used some dome alphabet stickers to label the cans, just for fun.  Ironically I have too many shadow brushes so my mascara is in the "face" can.  Whatever, I still use it on my face!  I poured a little bit of uncooked rice in the bottom to keep the brushes in some kind of order.


Then I took apart 2 frames I found at DI for (drum roll please) $1 each!  That's right, one dollar!  They did start out pretty ugly...



until I painted them with this awesome bright green (88 cents at Michaels) and then a coat of silver glitter spray paint I had left over from what else, Christmas present crafting :)


Finally (and most important), the magnetism.  I bought a big sheet of steel at Ace Hardware for $8.50.  Yep, the most expensive part.  I'm a chemist and can't remember what metals are magnetic (mostly because they're usually alloys, I knew aluminum wouldn't work!) so I took a magnet with me to the store to make sure I bought the right one.  I cut it into two 8"x10" pieces


 and hot glued the piece de resistance, this awesome retro paper, on the backside.


 
I love this paper- totally makes the frame no?  I hot glued some disc magnets (you can get these at office supply stores, Wal-Mart or pick some up at Ace while you're there) to my makeup and my brush holders and organized it all on the frames.  (**I recommend using the disc magnets.  I tried some magnetic tape because I already had some but it's not strong enough.)


The final result:



I actually like doing my makeup in the bathroom.  The lighting is infinitely better and I don't get distracted by ESPN's top plays and hit my nose with the mascara brush.  Seriously, that is at least a weekly occurrence.  Hopefully not any longer.  I love that I can see all my eyeshadow colors and now realize that 7 out of 10 are brown.  If it ain't broke don't fix it right?  And best of all I love that it's organized and cost less than $15.  Yay for crafts!

2 comments:

Jared and Andrea said...

I love it! I want to craft with you. The list is getting longer of things I want to do with you. Watch Friends, hike and camp, get crafty, ... Move to FL.

Meg said...

Impressive! Now make me one please!