I know, I know. Enough with the Christmas posts already! I just really wanted to document it all and there was a lot to document. This is the last one though, I promise. And you can tell it's the last one because there are finally pictures of presents being opened! Yay!!
Remember when Justin told me that his family had no traditions? Well, you guessed it- he was lying. Not intentionally of course, he just didn't realize that traditions can be things that you do every year without specifically saying "ok, now it's time for us to do the 'fill-in-your-own-blank' tradition." Peruvians celebrate Christmas quite differently than Americans. But I might have to say that the food is better :)
Here we are eating the big family dinner on Christmas Eve. We had chancho (pork), a dish Justin calls "raisin rice," papas a la huancaina (yum!) and of course, Inca Kola! Justin kept teasing Papito that he was going to eat the whole bowl of raisin rice by himself! What a nice grandson huh!
 |
| Justin, Papito and their forks! |
Midnight is like New Years. Everyone yelled "Feliz Navidad" and kissed each other on the cheeks. Then we all opened one present each.
 |
| Tia Nancy y Carlos. |
 |
| The bad thing about living in Utah is you think of warm gifts to give people. Justin and I gave Mima this lap blanket. It's super pretty but it was so hot while we were there I had to wonder when she'll use it! |
 |
| Papito likes action movies so we gave him Red starring Bruce Willis. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it :) |
The next morning we went to church. We attended the Spanish branch and I tried to sing all the songs in Espanol. It made it easier that we sang all Christmas songs so at least I knew the melodies really well. Not sure how good my pronunciation was but no one will ever know :) I was doing pretty well understanding Mima, Papito, Tia Nancy and Tio Carlos when they spoke Spanish at home but something about the microphone at church made it harder for me so I just read the Christmas story in Luke for sacrament. The spirit was still there :)
 |
| Justin playing with Ethan's Wack-a-Mole game. It was pretty fun! |
 |
| Look at the concentration! |
We also got to meet up with the third member of the 3 Musketeers of Boone High, Gordon, and his wife, Morgan. The only part of our visit that overlapped theirs was lunch right before our flight home. Where did we go? Gators Dockside of course! Mmmmm wings!
Even though it was a long trip we still weren't ready to head back to the cold.
At least I had this to look forward to when we got home! I put our new Christmas tree skirt out (
love it!) and took our "loot pictures."
 |
| The big orange thing is the Gator cake pan. Justin humored me for this tradition... |
 |
| But did not understand the need for the close up shot. Bwahahaha! |
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
2 comments:
That's hilarious! Can't believe you made Justin sit for a loot picture. What that guy won't do for you...
You have some great in-laws. Feliz Navidad! (Only a few weeks late, right?)
Definitely worth it! We miss you guys! If you lived here, we'd do game night on a regular basis.
Post a Comment