Pages

Haute-umn Leaves

Monday, August 20, 2012

The One with the Summer Update

I'm trying to put some other posts in along with all these "Things" that are mostly text.  The best thing about blogs are the pictures!  So here are some random shots of our summer.

This is how Justin and I compromise.  I hate cooking!  I mean, really hate it.  So we eat bean burros a lot.  Or Justin helps me in the kitchen.  I do the prep work and he stands at the stove.  Here we are making arroz chaufa for dinner.  If you haven't tried it yet, it's in the family cookbook!!  And it's delicious :)


He cooks!  He cleans!  Well he tries to clean.  I'm super picky.  He's still perfect :)

Earlier this summer Justin wasn't feeling very well.  For like a month.  I was surprised he never felt up to biking so I went out by myself.  Apparently this is a bad idea.  I fell.  Twice.  These took a long time to heal.


When Justin felt up to it we went on a super long bike ride with his dad.  Unfortunately the first half of the trail was washed out or super soft, meaning you couldn't get traction.  This is the dirtiest I've ever been on a bike ride.  Check out the scar on my left leg and you can see just how dusty we got.


Oh yeah, and this is my white trash helmet.  Last summer I endoed (flipped over my handlebars, you know- end over end) on the Wasatch Crest and broke the little snap that holds the visor on your helmet.  My initial jimmy-rigging didn't last very long but thankfully I crochet in the car on the way to the bike trails.  Yarn fixes everything!!


The first week I was in charge of a mutual activity all by myself I did what I know best (well, maybe second best.  I actually have a degree in chemistry but not crafting).  We tied a baby blanket for the former YW pres who was expecting her first baby.  We dropped it off one Sunday after church.  Poor Melissa; she looks like she's about to pop in the picture but she went another month before Ivy came out weighing just 2 ounces shy of 10 pounds!!  That's her first baby- ouch!!

Me, Melissa, Camilla and Sophia

Two members of my research group successfully defended their theses at the beginning of summer (What?  There's a light at the end of this tunnel?).  We celebrated with a group hike and potluck.  Hoping we have one of these for me soon :)

Annie (Aixiang), Jennifer, her daughter (wait for it) Josephine, Cara, Becca, Patrick and Justin

Josie, Jennifer (advisor), Mariella, Justin (grad), Cindy (grad), Annie (grad), Jong-Won (PhD), Cara (grad), Becca (undergrad), Patrick (PhD)


No comments: